Pages

Monday 6 February 2012

A 'no-sew' Valentine Quickie



































For those of you who don't cringe at the mention of Valentine's day, I thought I'd share a little project with you, which in all fairness, might 'deck the halls' all year round as I like it so much! Who doesn't like hearts? I personally love them, and have quite a few scattered around the house. I wanted to make something for Valentine's day that could go in the kitchen. I always have a wreath hanging on the door (that's inside!), and so needless to say I thought of making one for the 'month of love.' The best thing is, it only took about half an hour! Okay...so it's not a complex, time-consuming work of art and craftsmanship, but that's what's great about it! Anyone can do this! So, a list of goodies needed:

  1.  One polystyrene wreath base, size...whatever tickles your fancy! It really doesn't matter. I used one that measures 30cm diameter. 
  2.  A pair of knee-length socks or tights in your choice of colour, pattern or designer. I really don't think it matters whether they're from Ralph Lauren or Poundland! As long as they're clean!
  3. Scissors: For cutting the toes off the end of the socks. (I believe cutting the ends off Ralph's socks hurts more!)
  4. Pins...LOTS!
  5. Co-ordinating papers in your choice of colours and patterns. I used some scraps I had left over from previous projects. TIP: Never throw good, usable scraps away! You just never know when they'll come in handy!
  6. Ribbon, to make a bow
  7. Lastly, and this is where your 'quickie' can turn into a saga:  I used a Big Shot die-cutting machine with heart dies to cut out the hearts. If you don't have anything like this handy, you simply have to cut the hearts out by hand! It might take a little longer...okay, it will take a little longer, but it will be worth it!
So, method...

  1. Firstly, you cut through the wreath with a scarp knife to create an opening. This is where you'll thread the socks onto the wreath.
  2. Cut the toes off the socks, and feed the socks onto the wreath. You'll have to play and fiddle to get it looking tidy. I pulled the socks tight for a smooth fit, but you could also use two pairs to create a ruched effect.
  3. Cut out hearts in different sizes.
  4. Pin the hearts to the wreath. Let your imagination run wild!
  5. Use the ribbon to create a bow. Add a bow to the bottom, or top, or not at all. It's up to you.
  6. Hang it up, stand back...and gasp in admiration of your handiwork!
I hope you will have a go at making one yourself. Come on, give it all your heart! Lol...till next time!

P.S. It goes without saying that pins are sharp, and therefore dangerous. Take care when using, and put out your wreath out of reach of children and those bearing a grudge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay a while...Would love to hear from you!