Pages

Monday 1 August 2011

Romantic Jewelry Pinboard Tutorial

So, do you also have a jumble of knotted jewelry in a box somewhere that drives you potty? As a result you don't wear half the jewelry you own because you could probably walk to France and back in the time it would take you to un-knot it all? I have quite a selection of brooches, and found that I only ever wore a few because they were in an uninspiring mess! Well, a while back I decided to have a good tidy and to organize my bling in such a way that I could actually SEE it all. Today I'd like to share a little 5 minute project with you, which helped me to get organized! I made this jewelry pinboard a while back, and it hangs inside my wardrobe door. It is so easy now to accessorize an outfit.




















To make a jewelry pinboard, all you need is of course a cork pinboard. They come in a variety of sizes, but I've gone for a small one to fit inside my wardrobe door. You'll also need wadding, fabric of your choice, a staple gun and lace or any other trimmings if you like. The sky's the limit as to what the finished product can look like. I've gone for a romantic look, so I used some plain pink fabric (recycled sheet!) and lace. Finally, you'll need some pretty pins. Bridal pins are best as they're longer, and will hold jewelry securely.


















Method:
  • Cut the wadding to the exact size of your pinboard, and layer it on top.
  • Cut your chosen fabric about two inches/5cm larger than your board, and layer it on top of the wadding.
  • Now pull the fabric tight round the back of your pinboard, and staple it in place. It's best to staple it to the wooden frame as opposed to the cork, as this gives a more secure finish.



































  • Add lace over the fabric if you're using any, and staple in place.
  • Voila! Ready to arrange your jewelry on top!

These pinboards are great for hanging necklaces, attaching brooches, or even hair accessories. Anything goes, so you can have a lot of fun with it! I'd love to hear about your ideas for organizing jewelry better, and if you happen to have a go at making a pinboard, do share some pictures. I'd love to see them!

2 comments:

  1. like your jewelry pinboard, and your jewelry is lovely..
    I am just starting out in quilting blog land, and am hosting a
    christmas fabric swap, and was wondering if you would be
    interested in joining in on the fun.
    If so, you can join in here at, Paula's Crafty Boutique.
    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I never thought of using a pinboard as a jewelry holder. My necklaces are always a tangled mess at the bottom of my drawer-- this would be such a cute way to organize them! I'll have to invest in a good pinboard to start that can carry the weight.
    Jenn | http://www.vistavisuals.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Stay a while...Would love to hear from you!